I am from a middle class family and so have grown and i have seen lot of middle class people -friends, relatives and many many many more. Middle class in India makes the most of the super population here. And when i say middle class, its all – low middle class, high middle class, high high middle class, super high middle class – we middle class people are very good at making the differentiation- because we really want to prove that we actually don’t completely belong to the middle class – hmm whatever !
So observing the middle class since almost three decades now, i couldn’t hold back more to get down and write something. This doesn’t come as a mocking – like most will think – but this comes from a heart and mind that know that middle class has been a victim since years now. And if at all we need to change things around – we need to change how we behave and react to our surrounding .I am just trying to touch on some pointers here that i have observed. ** When i talk about rich, i really don’t mean the people from glamour world and people who have money and power – may be the world thinks they are the only rich people – for me rich are people who are living a life they had always wanted to – rich are all who have an extra ordinary experience of life – rich are all those who might not have made lot of money but are making a lot of difference – rich are all those wonderful people who spread love and harmony.
1. Being Busy – we are taught to be busy. Yes no matter what, we gotta be busy. A middle class person cannot enjoy leisures of life, or if at all they do, they need to compensate it someday.Or they are believed to understand that leisure is only at weekends or some holidays that we might get out of work. You cannot own leisure if you are a middle class person. Apart from this middle class people are really, really busy – they are busy watching sas bahu serial, they are busy watching filthy all nonsense news, they are busy working, they are busy with the weekend booze parties, they are busy standing in queues, they are busy looking for jobs, they are busy calculating bills, they are busy understanding emi schemes, they are busy discussing politics, they are busy showing that they are busy(coz they think people who are rich are busy…) Point is here that the middle class family is so busy that they give their life in others hand.To decide what they need to do next, to decide what they should like, what they should wear, how they should speak, where they should work, how they should work, how much they should work, where they should live and many more. They have compromised their freedom – and they are so busy – they don’t have time to even think of this.
2. Being Worried – this one shit has been passed by middle class ancestors so professionally that the middle class person has this shit in the blood – worry. They worry – worry about money, worry about work, worry about no work, worry about yesterday, worry about tomorrow, worry about boss, worry about wife, worry about husband, worry about children, worry about neighbors, worry about celebrities, worry about assets, worry about no assets,worry about God, worry about no God, worry about being single, worry about being double, worry about what others think of you…being worried about almost everything. Worry is their best friend..its everywhere with them.
3. No Commitment – middle class doesn’t care about this word – commitment. Who fucking made this word.They think the only commitment they have to make is to their boyfriend or girlfriend about dying and living together. Else fuck commitment. “Yes i told i will call back – that doesn’t really mean i will”. You ask them why and then there comes the super answer i was busy. When a middle class person says – “don’t worry i am with you”, be aware. “I will come”, really doesn’t mean they will come – it means i might come – but they have already assumed that their words mean the same and who really cares to inform even if they don’t – that’s also should be pre assumed, according to them.They don’t have any commitment towards society and environment. Those are not their stuffs to be worried of. They are not committed to their jobs, wife,husband,parents – give a chance to switch they are first ones to do so – their conditions should be fulfilled – that’s it ! Forget anyone or anything – they are not committed to themselves.
4. Least Unity – Think of people you know above and below. Luckily i am with both the rich and the poor. I see a strong bonding in both the classes. Talk about richly and the poor, no matter what they will stand by each other – when required. More over they have their time of togetherness – both rich and the poor. They dance like mads, party, eat, talk in union. I have seen the poorest of the poorest dancing the whole night with their family and neighbors – enjoying the togetherness. This aspect is missing with the middle class. They don’t unite, they don’t dare to do so. They are already in a race with each other, how can they be united. Kick a middle class in middle of the road and no body bothers. Try doing the same with the rich or the poor – you better hide your ass. Middle class becomes a speechless, handicapped spectator. They are afraid to help, they are afraid to raise a voice for their own – at the end they are busy, how can they stop to help someone. Yes they do meet, in silos, 4 here, 5 there, all scattered, even at the time when their brothers and
sisters need them.
5. Gossip – They gossip and mind when i say gossip. Gossip is gossip, its not socializing. They gossip about almost everything – office, work, boss, girls, sex, neighbors, boys, movies, serials etc. They don’t talk or discuss, the gossip.
6. Deluded – they are the major chunk of population that is deluded. They are easily manipulated, easily, very very easily. They are the major reason behind brands like fair and lovely in India – “A 1000 Cr brand”. They drive the markets and in the most manipulated way and still never realize the power they carry as a mass. This is because together the middle class only forms a crowd and nothing more. A crowd who could be cheated, a crowd who could be manipulated, a crowd who could be bluffed, a crowd who could be robbed – without them even realizing that they are robbed.
7. Fear/Afraid – they are the ones who are afraid of hell lot of things. They are afraid of society, they are afraid of law, they are afraid of losses, they are afraid of people. They fear the goons, they fear the God, they fear security. They cannot break their cocoon the entire life because of the fear.
8. Lazy – Middle class is not because they are just middle class. Most are here because they are lazy asses. They love being lazy. They feel being lazy is their birth right. They go back home and lie on their sofa, beds like they have run a 1000 miles before reaching home. Their life style has made them lazy and they just enjoy it.
9. Complaining – The middle class people will have problem with everything around them – the system,the leaders,the education,the people,the roads,work and many more. They will complain about everything – walk in a middle class gathering and you gotta understand. Worst part there is only complaining – there are no doing, there is no action. They might swear on top of their voice to change the system- if at all – but that is like a
thunder with no show.
10. Lastly – they think that their whole world is within the 4 walls of their house. No matter what happens to the world their house should be intact. They are the ones who brooms the dust out of their house and into the neighbors – it only matters that their house is clean.
The behavior of the middle class person is easily anticipated by the smarter ones. And this is the reason the middle class people are made to dance on tunes of others. They are the ones who are easily exploited. The worst part is, the conditioning is so strong and deep that people, book, movies, situations fail to make them realize what they have been doing and how their behavior is driving so many unhealthy issues in the system. And yes, exceptions are there, yes there are people who have made a difference, but by large middle class has been the victim of the system. They are the ones who are most affected by the changes in the system. They are like the rats that are used by scientists to do tests. They are robbed of their own rights. They are robbed of freedom. They are robbed and raped by the system, and this middle class people stand – helpless, without much say, waiting for the government/leaders to show some mercy to them. To make their life better.To bring a change in their lives.
Its high time they should realize that they are the ones who can make a huge difference in the system. They are the ones who has the capacity to drive the changes that they need and want. They are the mass and the mass is the power. Open your eyes and wake up !!