1. Start with early mornings. Theres no restriction of time when you do Mediation, but for beginners take the early morning slots. Get up early. Freshen up and find a nice , clean and peaceful place in your house. Any place that’s like open balcony or garden facing will be ideal. The noise should be minimum or zero.
2. Play a slow light instrumental music. You will find many on youtube. Download one that suits you best – sound of ocean waves, birds chirping, soothing instrumental…
3. Sit in the most comfortable position that u can. This could be anywhere, on bed, chair, floor…Make sure it is comfortable for you and where you will be able to sit for some decent time.
4. Close your eyes and just sit calmly for some time. Let those thoughts come to you. Try and observe them. Don’t follow any of the thought, remember just observe them. This step is to understand the thought process and is important to progress further.
5. Write down the thoughts that has come to you.
6. Practice the above 4 for 2-3 days time frame.
7. Once you start understanding your thoughts, then we move to the next stage. Here we follow the routine steps till 3. In the 4th step, instead of just being an observer now we start creating our thoughts. The idea is to control your thoughts first. Try switching from one thought to the other. This might be difficult in the early stage, but with practice this seems not much of a tough task.
8. Another very good practice to distract yourself from your unnecessary thoughts is to imagine. Imagination is powerful and can relax us in many ways. Whenever uncontrolled thoughts attack you, switch to imagination of something beautiful – A flower, beach, ocean, nature.. anything that you probably thinks keeps your attention and also is not disturbing .
9. Now comes the stage where we learn to ask our own self to stop talking. Yes the inner voice, that’s continuous, the noise in the head should be lessen to reach to harmony with oneself. This is the stage where we try going thoughtless. Do this in pauses at first. Try to pause your inner voice in between. In those small pause and gaps you will find a free flow of your mind.Try achieving that free flow for longer times, that means long pauses between inner voice . These gaps open your mind to a newer world. You will feel the instant effect of something really better and far more soothing than anything.
The power of meditation is immense